Grow as a professional. Grow stronger as a community.
MLA issues an annual Call for Volunteers that creates numerous opportunities for Michigan library professionals to develop leadership skills, create professional development opportunities and facilitate networking and sharing of best practices. It also plays a vital role in furthering the work of the Association and benefiting libraries throughout the state. For any member who wants to get involved with MLA, we have a place.
How Can I Get Involved?
- Check back on March 22 to review the opportunities available.
- Complete the online Volunteer Application by April 28nd.
- Select up to three committees or work groups in order of priority.
- Consider chairing or vice-chairing a work group and note that on your application.
- You will be notified of your appointment(s) by May 12, 2017. Appointments are for the 2017-18 MLA Member Year (July 2017 - June 2018); actual working time will vary by group. Two-year commitments for vice-chairs run through June 2019.
- Event-related work group members: Plan to attend an in person Work Group Development at the MLA office in June. Full details will be provided in your appointment letter.
- Award work group members do not need to attend Work Group Development.
- Committees and work groups will establish their regular meeting schedules starting in July.
Who is Eligible?
All MLA members are eligible to participate and volunteer on a committee or work group. Nonmembers interested in volunteering are welcome to join the association online or by calling (517) 394-2774.
The volunteer make-up will be representative of the MLA membership. Consideration will be given to diversity in terms of job category, geography and type and size of library. All library staff are welcome and encouraged to join and participate.
What Is Expected of Me?
Committees and work groups will meet as needed to accomplish their objectives. Work groups planning for events will focus on developing quality content and speaker selection, completing the majority of their work from July through December. Award work groups meet throughout the year on in accordance with award timelines. Standing committees will generally meet once a month.
Specific duties and responsibilities for each committee and work group will vary. Detailed information about the volunteer opportunities for the 2017-2018 year will be available on March 22nd.
Important Dates to Remember
- March 22- April 28: Call for Volunteers
- May 12: Assignments confirmed by email