General Information for All Presenters
Do I need to register for the conference to present?
Will I have access to audio/visual equipment?
- Your breakout room will have the following pieces of equipment setup and ready:
- A/V cart with power cord and VGA projector cable
- Podium with microphone
Each presenter must bring his/her own laptop. If you are bringing a Mac computer you are responsible for bringing your own connectors. Please also consider bringing your own wireless presenter remote as your laptop placement cannot be guaranteed at the podium. Special audio/visual needs such as HDMI cables, lavalier microphones, hand held microphones, flip charts, etc. must be preapproved by MLA staff at least two weeks prior to the conference. Onsite equipment additions cannot be accommodated.
Will I have internet access?
- Free Wi-Fi will be available to all presenters. Look for the log-in and password information in the onsite program book.
How will my room be setup?
- Unless otherwise arranged your room will be setup in theater style. Setup style is not guaranteed. Each room will have 1 – 8’ presenter table with four chairs.
How many people should I expect to present to?
- Attendance varies widely from program to program and may range from very few to 75 people. Average attendance typically is around 40.
Where is my breakout room?
- Approximately two - four weeks prior to Annual Conference date an email will be sent to you by MLA staff indicating which room your presentation will be in. Please note that changes may be made after the original designation. Please check the onsite program book and/or registration for your final location.
What if I have technical problems during my presentation?
- MLA Technology volunteers and The Lansing Center technicians will be onsite to help with any problems during your setup, program or after. If you should experience any technical problems your room facilitator will be able to contact someone for you. If you cannot find a technician or volunteer, please consider going to registration for help. Limited back up laptops and projectors are available at registration. These will be available on a first come first serve basis.
Do I need to provide a handout?
- Yes. In order to provide the best information and resources for our conference attendees we require every presenter to provide a handout for their session. Exceptions to this include poster presenters. This could be as simple as sharing your power point presentation slides. All session handouts are due by Friday, October 14, 2016 to Kristy Doak at email@example.com. We accept all formats.
How will you share my handout?
- Your handout(s) will be available on the Michigan Library Association website before, during and after the conference. Handouts will also be available on the conference app.
Do I need to check-in at registration?
- Every presenter is required to check-in at registration prior to presenting to pick up their badge packet. Registration will be located in the Michigan Avenue Concourse near the main facility entrance.
Wednesday, October 26, 2016: 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, October 27, 2016: 8:00 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Friday, October 28, 2016: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Who do I contact if I have questions prior, during or after the conference?
- Please contact Kristy Doak, Director of Professional Development and Meeting Planning at 517-394-2774 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns at any time.
Will I get paid for my presentation?
- No. Session and poster presenters do not receive monetary compensation for their presentation, housing or travel.
Who will introduce me?
- Each session will have a volunteer room facilitator. This person will start the session with housekeeping notes, introduction of your session and will provide time cards to keep you on track. Your room facilitator can also be used as a resource in the event you are having technical issues.
Do you need my biography?
- Unless a specific email has been sent to you requesting this information, your biography is not needed. You will be introduced simply by your organization prior to your program. Please consider adding information in about yourself at the beginning of your presentation.
Back to the top
Poster Session Presenter Information
Where do I check-in?
- Please check in at Registration, located in the Michigan Avenue Concourse near the main facility entrance. Poster presenters will be required to sign in.
What equipment should I bring for my poster?
- You will be required to bring your own clips, pins, tacks, tape or other products to adhere your poster to the board. We suggest bringing business cards and handouts as takeaways for the attendees.
- MLA will provide to you for free:
- One black or white tri-fold foam presentation board with dimensions of 36’’ height by 48’’ width (24’’ center panel and 12’’ side panels). You are not required to use the MLA provided poster.
- One 6’ linen and skirted display table.
When do I set up my poster?
- Poster setup is Wednesday, October 26, 2016 from 3:15 - 5:30 p.m. Poster setup cannot be accommodated before 3:15 p.m. All posters must be setup by 5:30 p.m on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.
When and where is the poster reception?
- Poster presenters have agreed to a two day commitment. Posters will be displayed on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at the 125th Anniversary Celebration in Exhibit Hall A of the Lansing Center. You will not be required to stand by your poster on Wednesday as this is a "preview" only for our attendees. All poster presenters are invited to stay and attend the 125th Anniversary Celebration. The poster reception will be hosted on Thursday, October 27, 2016 during the "Your Professional Connection and Poster Reception" from 5:15 - 6:30 p.m. in the Ballroom at the Raddison Lansing Hotel. You are required to attend to your poster on Thursday during the reception.
What do I do with my poster after the event?
- After the 125th Anniversary Celebration on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 your poster will remain up in the Exhibit Hall through the night. The Exhibit Hall will be locked for security purposes. MLA staff/volunteers will transport your poster (and any ancillary items) from the Exhibit Hall to the Radisson Lansing Hotel in the early afternoon of Thursday, October 27, 2016. Please take your poster (and poster board, if you’d like) with you at the conclusion of the reception on Thursday, October 27, 2016. You will have until 7:00 p.m. to remove your poster. Any posters left after this time will be assumed to be abandoned and may be subject to refuse.
Am I supposed to stand by my poster the whole time?
- No! After you setup your poster on Wednesday, October 26, 2016, it will stay up unattended until the reception on Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:15 p.m. at the Raddison Lansing Hotel. You are welcome to stand by your poster, however, at any time. All poster presenters are required to stand by their poster from 5:15 - 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 27, 2016 during the reception at the Raddison Lansing Hotel.
Am I required to provide a handout?
- Poster presenters are not required to have or send in handouts, but we suggest offering as a take away for our attendees.
Back to top