October 18 - 20, 2017
Lansing Center, Lansing, Michigan
We see the brilliance of Michigan library professionals every year at MLA Annual Conference.
That is why the MLA Annual Conference is the premier professional development and networking event for Michigan library professionals. What will make MLA2017 special is the energy and drive that you, the Michigan library professional, brings to the table. You spend all year spearheading new initiatives, discovering new ways to reach your community, and improving your professional skills.
Ultimately, we need you. We need your best practices. We need your engaging ideas. We need your input. In turn, this is an excellent opportunity for you to develop as a library professional, and to have a definitive positive impact on the library community.
Submit your ideas and help MLA Annual Conference by taking your library skills to the next level. Your program or poster idea may extend the learning opportunities for library professionals across Michigan.
Submit your program or poster proposal here.
Program and Poster Submission General Guidelines
- Submitter may or may not also be the presenter. Either is acceptable. You do not need to be an MLA member to submit.
- Contact information is required for each presenter.
- Presenters will be asked to submit 3 keywords to describe their presentation.
- Program sessions are typically forty-five to sixty minutes of content.
- Presenters are not reimbursed or compensated for presentation time, mileage or any other expense related to their participation in the conference.
- Presenters, including MLA members, must register and pay for the day(s) they attend Annual Conference if they plan to participate in any conference activities beyond their presentation or at the poster session reception.
Are you working on a new project, but don’t have results ready to present a formal program? Consider presenting a poster session, where you can discuss important topics with peers in an informal setting. A good poster session focuses on one main theme, presents useful information, and stimulates discussion. It’s a great way to jump into presenting without building a full-blown program.
- Poster presenters will be required to showcase their poster over a two day period. Poster previews (unaccompanied by the presenters) will be on Wednesday, October, 18, 2017 from approximately 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. during the Opening Conference Reception. Poster Session Reception (where the presenters are required to accompany the poster) will be on Thursday, October 19, 2017 from approximately 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. during the Your Professional Connection Breakfast.
Agreements and Selection Notification
- MLA will contact each submitter in writing with regards to final decisions of the acceptance process by May 5, 2017.
- MLA will send all individual presenters a Presenter Agreement indicating date, time and details of their presentation. This will be confirmed by the presenters and returned to MLA.
- Handouts are required for both posters and programs. Examples of handouts may be, but are not limited to: presenter contact information, a list of additional resources, a copy of presentation slides, a summary of the poster, or related worksheets.
- Printed handouts are not distributed on site by MLA during the conference, but are rather posted on MLA’s website and mobile app. Presenters may provide hard copies of handouts if desired at their own cost.
- Handouts will be due to MLA by October 4, 2017 and will be posted to MLA’s website before the conference.
The MLA Annual Conference workgroup will use the following criteria in assessing the viability of including a poster or program in the schedule. The work group retains the right to reject, modify, or combine proposals.
Does the proposal clearly identify a goal and takeaways for the audience?
Is the target audience clearly identified?
Is the topic appropriate for a poster session/conference breakout session in content and target audience?
Will the presentation and presenter(s) keep the audience’s focus and attention through clear speech, engaging visuals, useful and applicable content?
Is the topic of current interest, bringing new ideas and a fresh perspective to its intended audience and theme?
Does the speaker(s) have sufficient background experience to present on proposed topic?
- Poster presenters are required to provide their own poster content.
- One (1) tri-fold foam presentation board with dimensions of 36’’ height by 48’’ width (24’’ center panel and 12’’ side panels) will be provided to each poster presentation at no cost to the presenter. Presentation boards will be provided at check-in during Annual Conference. The usage of the MLA-provided presentation board is not a requirement; presenters may provide their own board if desired.
- Poster presenters are required to provide their own means of adhering content to the poster board via tape, tacks, clips, putty, etc.
- One (1) 6-foot table with linen will be provided for each poster presentation to display poster/materials.
- Poster setup will be from approximately 3:15 – 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. Posters/materials will be unaccompanied and available for preview from approximately 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at the All Conference Opening Reception. Poster Session reception will be held from approximately 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, October 19, 2017 in association with Your Professional Connection Breakfast. Please note that this is a new time for this event. Poster presenters are required to be in attendance on Thursday.
Program AV & Room Setup
- All presentation rooms will be supplied with a projector, screen and podium with microphone at no cost to the presenter.
- Wi-Fi internet will be in each presentation room, however, MLA cannot guarantee the speed and dependability of the services at any given time.
- Presenters must provide their own laptops and have presentations on laptops, flash drives, cloud, etc. Remote mouse devices/pointers are the responsibility of the presenter. All presenters will be responsible for providing their own cables for connection to the projector (HDMI or VGA).
- MLA will take every effort to make sure the presentations rooms are set up according to needs of presentation (ex: for a panel discussion if applicable).
Recording of Programs
- Permission to record a single program must be granted by all presenters of that program.
- Permission must also be granted by the MLA Program Subcommittee to record any program.
March 17, 2017 — Final day to submit proposals. This deadline is firm and will not be extended.
On or before May 5, 2017 — Selection notifications distributed via email from MLA to poster and program presenters.
Starting May 5, 2017 — Presenter agreements sent from MLA office to poster and program presenters
October 4, 2017 — Handouts received for posting on MLA website
October 18 – 20, 2017 — MLA 2017 Annual Conference Lansing Center, Lansing, MI
Please feel free to contact MLA’s Kristy Doak or Holly Ward Lamb, MLA 2017 Conference Chair, with any questions you may have prior to your submission. Contact info:
The call for proposals is currently closed. Please contact Kristy Doak or Holly Ward Lamb if you have any questions.