Membership Value and Benefits
Types of Membership
Organizational membership in MLA provides your library and staff with a number of member benefits, including advocacy for your library. Now more than ever is the time to invest organizational dues in MLA in support of advocacy efforts to protect library services and funding. MLA is fighting on several fronts right now to protect value funding and services for all types of libraries. Issues include protecting funding for the Michigan eLibrary, state aid to libraries, reimbursement of renaissance zone funding, tax capture for public libraries and community colleges; fighting the elimination of personal property tax and more. Times are tough in Michigan and MLA is your voice at the state Capitol.
The organizational membership also gives libraries discounts on staff and trustee memberships and allows access to affinity programs. Finally, directors receive complimentary individual membership as representatives of their organizations.
The Organizational Membership Dues Year is July 1 – June 30 to coincide with MLA’s Fiscal Year. Dues are due in full by July 1 each year. MLA members enjoy a 60-day grace period on renewal dues, after which memberships will be canceled for non-payment.
MLA offers you professional development and networking. Stay on top of your professional game, learn the latest trends and best practices through the MLA workshops and conferences. Network with and learn from your colleagues in academic, public and special libraries in Michigan. MLA offers you career advancement. Build your resume through participation in MLA’s committees, work groups and communities of practice. Support your profession. Be part of protecting libraries in Michigan. MLA provides you with vital information including the latest library news, in-depth coverage of library topics and trends from around the state.
Individual membership dues are assessed on an anniversary basis and are valid for 12 months from the time you join. MLA members enjoy a 60-day grace period on renewal dues, after which memberships will be canceled for non-payment.
Membership Classifications and Dues Rates
- Organizational Member – Any incorporated library, library cooperative, consortium or library school. Dues are a sliding scale based on the organization’s operational expense budget. Please refer to the Organizational Membership Form for dues schedule.
- Affiliated Individual Member – Any individual employed by and directly affiliated with an Organizational Member. Dues are a flat annual rate of $85, 50% less than those of Unaffiliated Individual Members.
- Unaffiliated Individual Member – Any individual who is not affiliated with an Organizational Member. Dues are a flat annual rate of $170, double those of Affiliated Individual Members.
- Affiliated Trustee Member – Any Trustee or member of a board of directors of an Organizational Member. Dues are a flat annual rate of $50, 50% less than those of Unaffiliated Trustee Members.
- Unaffiliated Trustee Member – Any Trustee or member of a board of directors of a library that is not an Organizational Member. Dues are a flat annual rate of $100, double those of an Affiliated Trustee Member.
- Unaffiliated Library Director – Any library director or chief administrative officer of a library, library cooperative, consortium or library school that is not associated with an Organizational Member. Dues are 80% of the Organizational Member rate.
- Retiree Member – Any person age 60 or older who is a former employee of and retired from a library, library cooperative, consortium or library school is eligible for membership in this category. Dues are a flat annual rate of $50.
- Student Member – Joint membership in the American Library Association (ALA) and MLA is available to any Library and Information Science student. Dues are a flat annual rate of $38. Please visit our Student Membership page for more information and a link to the online application at ala.org.
- Life Member – Any Individual Member who, on or before January 1, 2010, was designated as a Life Member by the Board of Directors. No dues or membership fees shall be required of Life Members.